- Loading stock data...
Chris Merrill: Episode 13
Chris Merrill bucks the system and brings us a not so healthy recipe in Episode 13.
16 Cake Donuts, Broken into 1-Inch Pieces
2 cups Heavy Whipping Cream
3/4 cup Butter, Melted, Cooled Slightly
1/2 cup Raisins or Dried Cranberries or Blueberries (Optional)
2 tsp. Vanilla Extract
1 pint Vanilla, Cinnamon, or RumRaisin Ice Cream, Melted, for Serving (Optional)
5 Large Eggs
1 tsp. Ground Cinnamon
3/4 cup Granulated Sugar
- Lightly butter a 9- by 13-inch baking pan.
- Layer the donuts in an even thickness in the pan.
- Distribute the raisins over the top, if using.
- Drizzle evenly with the butter.
- Make the custard: In a medium bowl, whisk together the sugar, eggs, cream, vanilla, and cinnamon.
Whisk in the butter.
- Pour over the donuts.
- Let sit for 10 to 15 minutes, periodically pushing the
donuts down into the custard.
- Cover with foil.
- Set the temperature to 350F and preheat, lid closed, for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Bake the bread pudding for 30 to 40 minutes, or until the custard is set.
- Remove the foil and continue to bake for 10 additional minutes to lightly brown the top.
- Let cool slightly before cutting into squares.
- Drizzle with melted ice cream, if desired. Enjoy!